Crude Accountability seeks a part-time Communications Assistant who will provide support to the organization’s staff and consultants. The position is currently available for 6 months, with the possibility of extension and growth contingent on funding. The position requires 16-20 work hours per week. This is a remote position. Some limited travel to Washington, D.C. metro area might be required in the future.
The Communications Assistant will be responsible for supporting routine communications operations and will contribute to creation, production, and distribution of deliverables including digital and print materials. The Communications Assistant will also provide general administrative and communication support during a summer 2021 virtual leadership program for environmental activists. Other tasks may be assigned based upon organizational need.
The Communications Assistant reports to the Communications and Research Director and works closely with the Leadership Program Coordinator.
The position requires a working proficiency in Russian (reading, speaking, some writing). Some expertise in Eurasian, Central Asian, or Russian regional studies strongly preferred.
Essential Job Duties
- Work with the Communications and Research Director and staff to develop and implement Crude Accountability communications strategy that advance the organization’s reach to key audiences;
- Offer support to staff and consultants in designing and editing materials for a range of audiences;
- Offer administrative support to the Communications and Research Director in tracking products and materials according to deadlines;
- Assist in coordinating events – online and offline – for staff and partners;
- Support Communications Director in managing websites; edit web materials for consistency and accuracy, publish materials on WordPress-based platforms and social media;
- Assist with running the Caspian Voices blog by soliciting creative posts from staff and guest bloggers, as well as editing and promoting content;
- Support Communications and Research Director in maintaining a collection of videos, photos, graphics, infographics;
- Work with Leadership Program coordinator to organize the virtual leadership program for environmental activists;
- Regularly monitor social media metrics;
- Expand databases of potential audience, provide outreach and support to key audiences interested in the organization’s materials and reports;
- Provide technical and administrative support for webinars and online meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree or a degree in progress in communications, marketing, international relations/development, regional studies, or a related field
- Working proficiency in Russian language (reading, speaking, some writing)
- Some experience with presentation design and visual communications creation
- Experience in event planning and coordination
- Expertise in Central Asia, Eurasia, and/or Russia regional studies desirable;
- Overseas work or study or active involvement in an international exchange is an asset
- Interest in energy sector
- Demonstrated ability to understand and present complex information in a simple and navigable manner
- Some proficiency with WordPress desirable
- Strong English writing skills
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of political issues in the regions of interest; ability to facilitate relationships among people of various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to follow security and digital hygiene protocols
- Comfortable working in a small team environment
- Honest approach to work tasks
- Demonstrated experience working in remote settings
The ideal candidate will start working in May 2021.
Crude Accountability is an environmental and human rights nonprofit organization that works with communities in the Caspian and Black Sea regions battling threats to local natural resources and the negative impacts on their health. Crude Accountability works on the local, national, regional, and international levels in partnership with active communities and organizations committed to a just and environmentally sustainable world.
Based in Northern Virginia, Crude Accountability also collaborates with environmental organizations in the United States working on similar issues.